New Sara Lee pound cakes hit market

by Eric Schroeder
DOWNERS GROVE, ILL. — The Hillshire Brands Co. has introduced a new lemon pound cake under the Sara Lee brand, its first new pound cake loaf in more than a decade. The company said it also has updated the recipe of its butter pound cake to be more moist.

“Sara Lee brand produces America’s favorite frozen pound cake, and we’re in the process of expanding upon its rich heritage by providing new and delicious varieties we hope will become household favorites,” said Kanika White, senior brand manager, Sara Lee Desserts. “Our new lemon pound cake is a twist on an American classic — it tastes great alone or is delicious dressed up with fresh berries and a little whipped cream.”

In addition to lemon pound cake and butter pound cake, Sara Lee offers a Light & Dreamy pound cake and pound cake slices (in original and double chocolate).

Sara Lee Pound Cake products are sold at grocery retailers throughout the country with an average suggested retail price of $3.99 regular size items and $5.39 for family size.
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.

The views expressed in the comments section of Baking Business News do not reflect those of Baking Business News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.

READER COMMENTS (212)

By shebakesalot 4/2/2014 8:47:04 AM
The new Sara Lee golden fudge cakes are absolutely disgusting. I cannot believe such a well renowned company would be such a horrible product. The fudge filling tastes like chemicals the outer chocolate coating has a whitish "film" which is called "bloom" and is caused when chocolate is handled improperly. Also, since Sara Lee puts the soft fudge filling on the top of these golden fudge cakes, the hard chocolate shell on the top is crushed and caved in during handling which makes for an unattractive danaged looking product when it comes out of the box. Definitely a NO! WILL NOT BUY AGAIN! UGH! Sara Lee needs to take this one off the shelves and get rid of them at the dollar store.

By Maria 2/23/2014 9:11:38 PM
Love this cake. Where can I buy it? it's been so long I need to enjoy this cake.

By David G 12/26/2013 9:17:25 PM
I have to say after reading the comments, glad I was not alone in thinking I had bought a "bad" pound cake. Both my house guest and I had a terrible night after eating it. It's just a chemical cake. I am stunned a company would make such a blunder. Never again. If this is some kind of experiment to prompt consumers to bring back the old beloved pound cake, then Sara Lee needs to be doubly ashamed.

By David G 12/26/2013 9:12:14 PM
I bought one for Christmas, remembering what they were like long ago. I usually avoid frozen cakes. I have to say, this was horrible. The texture and taste were artificial. I cannot believe they are pawning this product off on consumers, most too young to know better. I will blunder through and bake my own before I ever try this again. Just the most disappointing product I have tried in a very long time.

By Terri Jakl 11/29/2013 2:21:43 PM
So very disappointed. I bought a Sara Lee Pound cake and expected it to taste just as it always has. It was a special occasion and the dessert was ruined. Why would they change the recipe??? Dah!!!

By Sue Koeppen 11/22/2013 1:30:22 PM
Hi We love the chocolate pound cake slices but our Walmart stopped selling them. Nobody has them in Phoenix AZ area. Can I buy a case from you? Thanks, Sue

By Patricia Bell 11/19/2013 10:47:05 PM
Changing the recipe for the Sara Lee Pound Cake was a BAD MOVE! I have loved it for many years, however, with this new recipe, I won't buy it again.

By Linda 9/12/2013 4:21:05 AM
I went to this website to learn about the frozen pound cake because I have a no bake layer cake recipe that calls for the Sara Lee pound cake. After reading these comments I'm not sure I want to buy the cake now. I also noticed that the story hit the website in August of 2012 and the newest comment was written in August of this year 2013. So that means that The Hillshire Brands Co still hasn't gone back to the original recipe for over a year now. Whats up with that? If the cake is bad as the comments on here say it is I guess I will have to find a pound cake recipe and make it from scratch. Thanks for the heads up everybody!

By Former Customer 8/3/2013 9:45:08 AM
Sara Lee - did you not take notice of Coke's demise when they changed their recipe??? If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it! Hate the new recipe.

By javi lee 7/18/2013 10:20:44 PM
Will boycott all Sara Lee products in the future. What kind of company that has produced an excellent product for decades would change it at all. It is inedible.

By Alberto 6/17/2013 11:59:55 PM
Wow guys, really!! Lets be realistic about this new goop cake...It's horrible! My kids thought I bought generic pound cake. They are kinda right. Help me help you, bake it and we'll buy it! (The real original pound cake)

By Linda 6/16/2013 5:51:36 PM
New butter pound cake recipe is horrible. Please revert back to old delicious SaraLee.

By Linda 6/16/2013 5:51:26 PM

By Linda 6/16/2013 5:51:17 PM

By Linda 6/16/2013 5:50:59 PM

By Linda 6/16/2013 5:50:50 PM

By Linda 6/16/2013 5:50:40 PM

By Linda 6/16/2013 5:50:30 PM

By Linda 6/16/2013 5:50:21 PM

By Linda 6/16/2013 5:50:12 PM

By Linda 6/16/2013 5:50:03 PM

By Mikayla 5/27/2013 8:10:49 PM
I really don't believe what you have gone and done. Majorly disappointed in Sara Lee. The new recipe for the pound cake is just plain disgusting. I grew up on the old original pound cake and I loved it so much that I could sit and eat 3/4 of the tin in one sitting. Yesterday I picked up a box of pond cake slices that has the wording "original". Who do you think you are fooling? Obviously me because I was stupid enough to fall for it. The only thing getting enjoyment out of your cheap recipe is the ducks that I frequently feed at a nearby pond. I will never buy your garbage again. I hope you learn a lesson after your sales dip so badly that you don't recover. Just remember, when customers talk, you should listen!

By Teisha 5/24/2013 2:58:12 AM
I gave my kids some of the new pound cake. Minutes later they asked me could they throw away their desert because because it didn't taste right. I checked it and noticed that it was wet at the bottom. I also noticed that the texture wasn't like any pound cake I've had before. It did not taste good

By Cindy 5/8/2013 5:24:55 PM
New pound cake recipe is the New Coke of frozen desserts. Mistake. The new recipe is rubbery, spongy and with an off-taste. I checked the expiration date because it tastes bad. I would love to see the purpose of this reformulation. It must be cost savings. I won't buy it again.

By Monise 5/6/2013 1:05:59 PM
Horrible! I bought a pound cake recently. After eating a slice I thought that maybe it was spoiled. It wasn't till I checked the date that I noticed that theres a new recipe. It was too oily, soggy at the bottom and tasty funny. You clearly have gone with a cheaper recipe to save money

By FORREST 5/4/2013 11:39:40 AM
Must be some dumb people working at this company. People been complaining for sometime about this "new pound cake". You hear nothing from the company. I guess they don't care they had a great product and messed it up.

By Silvia 5/3/2013 6:05:27 PM
The new pound cake is really bad. Tastes cheap, oily, and salty. The texture is gummy and becomes a paste in the mouth. I use to love the old one, but I won't buy it again!

By Jeff 4/27/2013 7:31:29 PM
I always evaluated pound cake by how close it was to Sara Lee.No more.The new 'moist' formula is just plain gummy. Once was enough. I see I'm not alone. Take a lesson from Coke and bring it back as Classic Pound Cake.This new recipe is brutal. Stop experimenting and stick with what works.

By Roger 4/27/2013 5:52:40 PM
I finally tracked down one of the original recipe cakes today and enjoyed it greatly since I got it for free using a coupon the company sent me. They were mixed with the new recipe cakes in the display. Vastly different expiration dates. Those old cakes have been sitting there for quite some time. I doubt they will get any better with age.

By seema rose 4/20/2013 5:31:09 PM
I want the old Sarah lee cake, New one is woeful. I really don't understand why thy would change the recipe if it was perfect...

By Marc 4/18/2013 1:29:45 PM
The new pound cake is awful! I will not buy another!

By Lynne 4/13/2013 1:28:20 PM
Don,t like the new recipe, have purchased them for a lot of years, will not be buying them again. Bring back the old recipe.

By Robert 4/13/2013 1:14:26 PM
SARA LEE IS LIKE THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. THEY CHANGE SOMETHING THAT ISN'T BROKEN (THEIR POUND CAKE), "FIX IT", AND WHEN 100% OF THE PEOPLE SAY THEY DON'T LIKE IT THE NEW WAY THEY MAKE FALSE PROMISES THAT THEY DON'T KEEP. BOUGHT TWO POUND CAKES THIS WEEK, THREW THE SECOND ONE AWAY. GARBAGE. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

By Kenneth 4/12/2013 9:59:26 PM
Sara Lee pound cake is now Sara Lee frown cake. Blah..first twinkles are extinct. Now new improved pound cake? I have tasted better loofah sponges filled with lava soap suds! The horror !

By Kenneth 4/12/2013 9:59:16 PM

By Kenneth 4/12/2013 9:59:06 PM

By Kenneth 4/12/2013 9:58:56 PM

By Kenneth 4/12/2013 9:58:45 PM

By Amy 4/4/2013 11:31:52 PM
My diet is ruined with this new pound cake!!! how do I fix this problem I have been eating the Sara Lee butter pound cake almost every night now for about 10 years now, after reading the south Beach diet, Have maintained body of almost perfection. Since this new version of pound cake I have small fat on side of my thighs that wont go away. Just realized it is this cake. I track my food. When is the old version coming back???

By susan 4/4/2013 5:25:09 PM
We do not like the new version of the pound cake at all either...bummer! It's not as firm..

By Richie Mitnick 4/1/2013 11:01:30 PM
What I wouldn't give for a piece of Sara Lee Chocolate Swirl Poind Cake. There qas none better. Also miss the delicious banana cake, and brownies that Sara used to make. But the Chocolate Swirl is the biggest loss.

By Megan 4/1/2013 9:18:23 PM
I loved the original version of the Sara Lee pound cake! It was great for fondue and the new version just falls apart and gets crumbs in the chocolate. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. After 10+ years of being a loyal customer, I won't be buying this product anymore. Anyone know of a good pound cake?

By ann 3/31/2013 3:48:07 PM
the new improved sara lee pound moist pound cake is awful!!!!! they had a good product why did they change it. the new moist pound cake has no flavor and is no longer firm and buttery. i to wrote to sara lee and received a coupon. companies try to save money by changing recipes they are going to put themselves out of business..

By Dionne 3/28/2013 7:02:12 PM
After complaining to the company, I received a coupon for a free Sara Lee poundcake and assurance that the original poundcake would be in stores. I waited several months and purchased the pound cake slices. The box said "original." These are the disgusting new "moist" poundcakes in slices. So upset.

By Bob Schmitt 3/25/2013 9:56:14 PM
I'm the Sara Lee pound cake junkie who commented on the new improved moist pound cake over 2 MONTHS ago on how sticky and disgusting it tasted. You stated the original firm all butter cake would be back on the shelves in a month. As of today, the same crappy cakes are the only ones I saw on the shelves. Looks like a lot of consumers, including me, won't be buying any more Sara Lee pound cakes until the original recipe comes back.

By Dennis Starks 3/24/2013 4:24:57 PM
After decades of selling wonderful quality pound cakes, Pepperidge Farm has cheapened its brand with the "NEW" pound cake. It is absolutely awful. It reeks of stabelizers and artificial ingredients. I have used their original pound cakes as a component for trifles and mousse cakes for years, and the new version is a wretched shadow of the original. My guess is that they decided to cut costs by substituting inferior ingredients. They have lost my business.

By Robin Bauer 3/19/2013 5:00:10 PM
What a shame. I have purchased Sara Lee pound cake for over a decade and am soooo disappointed in the NEW recipe. Please bring the old Sara Lee pound cake bake. PLEASE.

By Kathy 3/19/2013 10:19:42 AM
Please don't mess with a classic recipe. Hate the texture of the new recipe. Please change it back. I go to stores looking for the old recipe, I will not by the new one. Remember Coke!

By T. Brockenbrough 3/16/2013 10:13:06 PM
Just discovered the lemon poundcake........AWESOME! The lemon flavor comes right through, I am a "lemon" person. ??

By mario 3/14/2013 10:45:17 PM
I agree with everybody here. Who in the world gave the thumbs on the go ahead to.package sponges as cakes. I couldn't even finish the thing, and wound up using it to absorb odor.in the fridge. God almighty, I couldn't even sleep that night I was so disturbed that I would.never taste the old cake and had to just reminisce about what it use to taste like. Please please bring back the old one. Whoever decided to replace it with this, should be fed this everyday for a year. Anybody know when ifs coming back. I would love to have a Sara lee poundcake reunion.

By Meghan 3/10/2013 8:23:32 AM
I sent a complaint about two months ago expressing my hatred of this new pound cake recipe. If it continues to sell I am never buying from Sara Lee again. Don't even the manufacturers of this cake miss the smooth moist light brown top crust? You could peel it off of the cake before you ate it? And the dense chewy texture of the cake itself? I used to prefer this cake to my own grandmothers. Not anymore.

By Lisa 3/9/2013 11:06:58 PM
I'm so disappointed in the new Sara Lee Poundcake. The original version was delicious, so there was no need to change the recipe. Please bring back our poundcake!!!

By judy bachman 3/9/2013 6:26:31 AM
The new moist pound cake seems like an attempt to sell us air. I was a long time sara lee fan and have bought hundreds of these frozen pound cakes. I was shicked to open the container and find a smaller, lighter, bland tasting mess. I returned them to the store the next day.

By FB 3/9/2013 5:58:43 AM
Fix the new pound cake 1st then if you want to do something great bring back the wonderfully moist and delicious single layer chocolate cake with dark chocolate icing you made (10-20+ yrs?) ago.It was awesome!

By FB 3/9/2013 5:52:19 AM
Please bring back the old pound cake! The original wasn't like any pound cake out there, why try and change a good thing? I won't buy anymore if you don't go back because I just don't like it (wife too)

By Sonia Lee 3/5/2013 1:45:10 AM
I could not believe that you changed your pound cake recipe. My kids (now 33 and 35)grew up with no other pound cake but Sara Lee's. Have not bought them for awhile due to health problem, but for the past 2 weeks I bought 4 pound cake and found only 1 original. Hope you will stop making the new recipe and go back to the original one. That was the best.

By Tay 3/3/2013 11:34:10 PM
THANK GOD I wasn't alone in my dislike for the so called 'improved' pound cake. I see below that Sara Lee has told some of you that they are bringing back the old version... YAY!! I noticed today when I purchased one that BOTH batches were in my grocers freezer, and I was assuming that the old was being weeded out... but maybe its actually being weeded back in :) YAY again!!! If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT...

By Lois 3/2/2013 9:25:54 AM
This is the second time I have bought your improved pound cake. This will be the last. Why would you change something that was perfect. Go back to the original way. Also what happened to your streusel coffee cake? The top is different no streusel anywhere. Quit improving stuff that doesn't need improving.

By Tina Truong 2/27/2013 5:32:05 PM
I have been enjoying your original pound cakes for years now. Totally addicted to them! When your new recipe pound cake came out I tried them too. Unfortunately I didn't like the taste at all. I like your original one. Please don't stop making that one.

By Mark W 2/27/2013 12:06:37 PM
So, where is the original recipe butter pound cake? I complained in December and got a response that they were bringing back the old recipe. It will be March 1 and they are still shipping the new recipe garbage. I would love to hear an update on the change back- or if it is no longer planned. In either case, I will not be buying any more of the gooey stuff. Thanks.

By Elmer 2/26/2013 8:24:37 AM
I called and complained to Sara Lee about ten seconds after opening the suspiciously-labeled ("All" had vanished) package and seeing the horrid gooey mess inside. Just disgusting. After hearing a load of baloney about imaginary 'complaints' causing the change, I hung up shaking my head. Then, in early December, I got a letter from Sara Lee informing me that "I Won" and the old recipe was being resurrected due to REAL complaints about the gooey mess. Great!! The genius behind the idiotic change was relocated to Siberia wher he/she belonged, and....nothing. The gooes messed still fill supermarket freezers, and I ain't seen a single original lately. Where are they, Hillshire?

By betsy 2/24/2013 8:07:22 AM
I had the same experience when i bit into the sara lee pound cake that i couldnt wait to eat! I will never buy it again! awful! as one person said it tasted cheap! waste of money.

By Karen Moore 2/22/2013 12:21:50 PM
I've always been a Sara Lee frozen pound cake lover, however, I have to admit the new moist cake taste like an angel food cake. Please, please bring back the original pound cake. When you take the cover off the frozen one, the entire top of the cake comes off as you open it. I am sorry having to write this comment, but I thought I needed to let you know. Your original pound cake is very much missed.

By Sally 2/20/2013 8:49:44 PM
The new Sara Lee pound cake is awful. I didn't know the recipe changed until I googled "why does Sara Lee pound cake taste different". It went from being different to being like every other pound cake in the store bakery--too sweet....too soft!

By Elsa 2/20/2013 6:30:25 PM
Join me in my "save the pound cake" crusade on FB

By Linda B 2/20/2013 5:29:55 PM
I just bought a Sara Lee butter pound cake (2/20/2013), which I only buy occasionally. My first indication that something was "wrong" was when I couldn't even get it out of the container. It was like totally stuck in there. Then, when I cut into it, it was so soft the knife almost squished it to death. I cut a slice, then spread some butter on it and the butter not being totally soft nearly destroyed it. I never remembered it being so soft before.... I wondered if the recipe had changed (I don't know if the pacakaging said it was "new and improved" or anything), so I decided to do a quick Google search, and yes indeed, Sara Lee has changed it. It's not even pound cake anymore, it's more like sponge cake it's so soft. I used to love how firm it was, but I don't like this updated version at all. I don't think I'll buy in again unless they change it back. Yuck!

By Fong C 2/20/2013 10:21:09 AM
Thought we had brought a BAD frozen Sara Lee Pound Cake from the supermarket because we could not understand why it tasted so horrible. It turned out that this was the updated “moist” version of the Sara Lee Pound Cake. Why did the maker think that the pound cake needed to be moist? What was the thinking behind it? I have tasted moist cake and it did not taste like this – this is EWWWWWWWWWWWWW to infinity. Will be buying their competitors like Pepperidge Farm frozen cakes and Entenmann’s. Hope the original version is back on the market.

By Ana Alvarez 2/18/2013 9:00:26 PM
I hate the new Sara Lee pound cake!!! It taste cheap and I miss the old one. I was really craving it this past weekend and was excited to eat such a good dessert that for years was part of our family tradition and to my surprise is nt te same taste! I can't believe this the old one was the best firm pound cake I hope Sara Lee realizes what a mistake they have made!

By fRANCES FARROW 2/18/2013 6:41:37 PM
I HATE THE NEW POUND CAKE - IT IS DISGUSTING. WILL NEVER BUY ANY MORE SARA LEE PRODUCTS. THE CAKE TASTES LIKE A CHEAP CAKE ONE MIGHT FIND IN A VENDING MACHINE. I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT YOU COULD CHANGE SUCH A GREAT CAKE INTO THIS HORRIBLE EXCUSE FOR A CAKE. GOODBYE SARA LEE.!!!!!!!!!!

By Bob Schmitt 2/17/2013 11:42:43 PM
I am a Sara Lee butter pound cake junkie... however, I won't be buying the updated "moist" butter pound cake... I hate it! I like the original firm textured cake. Will that still be available?

By Fatima 2/16/2013 11:40:39 PM
I bought a box of Sara Lee Lb Cake from Walmart today . When i opened it , I saw that the top layer was missing. I checked the lid again to make sure I didn't pick up some generic brand by accident. Then after I tried it, I was further disappointed . If they planned to be saving money by doing this, they'll soon find out that their plan has backfired.

By Roberto Okida 2/16/2013 10:30:17 PM
Sara Lee please bring back the old pound cake. The new version of it is not an improvement.

By Sandra 2/16/2013 4:48:48 PM
Say it ain't so. One of our traditional family treats through the years has been Sara Lee Pound Cake dipped in chocolate fondue. My son came home from college and requested it for his birthday. When I opened the pack I thought it had gone bad. I searched for an expiration date. It didnt taste anything like Sara Lee Pound Cake. Yuck. After finding this thread, I realize I'm not alone. Why would you ever change a product that has stood the test of time and so loved and enjoyed by generations. Other products only wish for such recognition and market share. Big mistake, Sara Lee. I'll pass on the Sara Lee Pound cake for now. Please consider bringing back our beloved recipe. You had product with raving fans.

By Susan Gil 2/14/2013 9:13:36 PM
I stand corrected. Mom says Enteman's is now better than the new version of Sara Lee pound cake! YUCK, I think they are both disgusting!

By Susan Gil 2/14/2013 8:59:21 PM
I also agree that the new version is no where near as good as the original version. It now tastes just like Enteman's and I don't like that either cause it's soft and spongy. Very very sad. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

By Nicole Venck 2/13/2013 10:16:19 AM
I strongly agree! This new cake is no where near the amazingness of a Sara Lee pound cake! This cake is def more like the grocers bakery. Although this cake may be a nice addition to your pound cake selection do t mess with perfection!! So heartbreaking!

By Millie Camacho 2/12/2013 8:49:05 PM
I had not bought pound cake in a while and did this week. It was not the same that I have loved for years!! It is sticky and my beloved top crust is missing. It bothered me so much that I had to do a search and found this. I agree with comments they need to go back to original. Am no longer buying current one. You need to go back to pound cake pictured on lid.

By gloria anderson 2/9/2013 9:22:13 PM
This USED to be my favorite frozen cake- but thanks to your greed and utter disregard for the will of the public- not anymore. Your cake tastes HORRIBLE now. I am so disappointed in your product now I refuse to finish this letter

By pele 2/9/2013 6:33:50 PM
I am disappointed in the new butter pound cake. It doesn't have the fine texture of the original or the "skin" on the top that I love. Now it's more like a supermarket bakery pound cake instead of my beloved Sara Lee!

By Philip 2/9/2013 6:18:11 PM
'Moist' is hardly the right word, they should've put 'Now more sticky and crappy.' Hope some of these guys are right and they're bringing back the old recipe. I just found five of the old recipe stuck at the back of my local supermarket freezer and bought all of them! These will be the last SL pound cakes I buy until they bring back the old recipe.

By Edie 2/9/2013 3:23:50 PM
I have been a consumer of Sara Lee pound cake since I was a young child in the 1960's. My mother had a sweet British babysitter for my brother and me twice a week. She would serve us Tea. She always brought Sara Lee pound cake as a treat and part of Tea. As an adult, I purchased and served this product frequently. I find your new receipe horrible and I will probably NEVER buy it again. I strongly urge you to return to your original butter pound cake receipe!

By Ray 2/8/2013 11:34:12 PM
The new Sara Lee pound cake tastes like a Hostess Twinkie without the filling. Bring back the real pound cake!

By myrna 2/8/2013 3:43:26 AM
The new butter pound cake is not as tasty as the original.

By myrna 2/8/2013 3:42:56 AM
The new butter pound cake is not as tasty as the original.

By Jerome Andreoli Jr. 2/7/2013 5:49:56 PM
I have been enjoying your pound cake for many, many years. But I was terribly disappointed on my recent purchase of the new moist cake. As soon as I opened the package I could see it was not the same. After tasting I could not finish the slice, it is terrible. And while I am at it, just how much do you save by eliminating the wax paper sheet that DID help keep the cake moist. Please tell me you will return to the product I enjoyed.

By Pietr Pahn 2/6/2013 12:15:19 AM
It's BAAAACCCCCKKK!!!!!!!!! My local Safeway has the All Butter Pound Cake again. I bought one, opened it tonight and saw the lovely smooth top and knew it was all good again. Ah sweet goodness.

By Tren 1/27/2013 10:17:05 PM
Please bring back the old recipe!! The new one taste terrible!

By Grossed out 1/23/2013 11:32:36 PM
Did these decision makers even taste their own product changes? Customers arent stupid. No way the results would have been satisfying when compared to the original. Tired of cheap, cost cutting measures that water down the product under deceptive marketing terms "new and improved" or "extra moist" on your packaging and charge the same price. Sell that crap under a new brand at the $.99 store. Dont insult our intelligence. Way to go on losing your customers. Ive fwded an email telling family and friends not to buy. Dont care about your refund. Too little too late.

By "H" 1/21/2013 6:35:44 AM
Oh, I am so grateful you are bringing back the original SL pound cake. Thank you soooooo much for listening to your customers, which seems to be such a novelty in this day and age. My mother, at age 70, will be tickled to hear this!. It's been on her table on many occasions throughout the years. We shall be looking it for on the shelves in Feb :)

By Arnolt SCHLICK 1/20/2013 9:01:41 PM
SL should also offer some coupons for this new product to make up for people buying this garbage and throwing it out after one bite. I could not eat the new pound cake as it tasted like the cheapest cake, made of all the cheapest ingredients possible. I gave a slice to my dog and she took it and just lay it down and didnt eat it. And my dog each anything!

By Andrea 1/18/2013 5:41:53 PM
Well, here I am again. Someone was nice enough to post the 800# and I called and lodged my complaint. Well, guess what?! They are bringing back ORIGINAL!!! Supposed to be in stores by end of Feb. 13, amazing! Now, if that pumpkin pie custard style item would just make its way back...sigh.

By Andrea 1/18/2013 5:41:14 PM

By Andrea 1/18/2013 5:28:53 PM
Here's a link in which it supposedly has a KopyKat recipe to make your own. I know - a pain but it's dated 2009 so it's definitely supposed to resemble the recipe we all had liked and is currently gone :( You can see it: www.copykat.com/2009/02/04/sara-lee-pound-cake/? Hope they bring orginal back ASAP!

By Andrea 1/18/2013 5:24:05 PM
OhMyGawd ~ thought I may have ruined family size Sara Lee poundcake by letting it defrost in my car but then I saw the 'new improved' (that's so NOT true) and buttery taste I realized yet another one of my fav's is gone-zo! What in the world - is there a taste taster in that new and improved company? I don't think so. Whoever had the brilliant idea of mucking up previous delicious recipe should be driven out. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER buying this GROSS food product ever again! BLEECH!!!!

By Patricia 1/18/2013 12:01:34 AM
I cannot comprehend how the new recipe made it to the shelves. It is absolutely disgusting. My family of boys can pretty much eat anything. This new recipe "thing" sat around and nobody would eat it. We had to eventually throw it out. If anyone at Hillshire ate this and didn't stop the production should be ashamed.

By Renee 1/17/2013 2:59:46 PM
Nice job Sara Lee! You have totally ruined your best product. Guess you won't mind losing all your customers. My restaurant had, over the last ten years, incorporated your pound cake in several of our desserts, but THAT certainly won't happen again!

By Brittany 1/17/2013 1:14:21 PM
I do not like the new recipe. I will no longer purchase Sarah Lee pound cake.

By laura 1/16/2013 9:37:17 AM
I agree I bought Sara Lee butter pound cake more moist and it tastes horrible it's hard,sticky and the taste is just a bad. I hope they change there recipe back because I will never buy one again. It has been the worst change in recipe.

By roger 1/15/2013 5:03:24 AM
What a horrible surprise to find this disgusting rubber sugar sponge instead of one of my most cherished treats. Could not finish 1 slice, throwing the rest away. It doesn't even taste like food. Someone should go to jail for selling this. Waiting to see if I get sick.

By Pat Ryan 1/13/2013 4:03:00 PM
I bought a small loaf of Sara Lee Butter Pound Cake - "now more moist". The printed lot #1700250210:13. This is a new recipe and it is terrible. What a disappointment. Unless and until you go back to the old recipe I won't buy this again. Are you changing all your products? I hope not!

By Madhu Thangavelu 1/11/2013 6:10:00 PM
The last two times we bought the pound cake, it was awful. No more till they get the old recipe back...and fire the chef who suggested this terrible version. Maybe this is the revenge of the fired chef ? It seems sticky, the sweetener seems like something synthetic, and all in all, good for those who like plastic for snack. I hope corporate greed is not a factor in this third rate product ? Sorry, but Sara Lee better get back the original recipe ...before this awful concoction parading as sponge cake brings them down.

By Jeffrey Oelschlegel 1/9/2013 10:53:28 PM
I just tried the 'new and (not)improved' SL Pound Cake. It is AWFUL. As others have noted, I noticed as soon as I opened the package that something was different. Gone was the beautiful golden brown crown on the loaf... and instead... a sticky gooey mess... reminiscent of Entemanns current crop of awful baked products. I don't purchase Entemmans because they are so GREASY that they appear WET. Now.. my beloved SL pound cake looks like a greasy blob. It also tastes much different.. is much sweeter. FIRE the bean counter that suggested they change the formula to increase profits. Fire the marketing people that thought this was a good idea. You do not take perfection and RUIN IT. I wonder if they 'improved' the formulas on the other SL products? Hillshire Brands management... ARE YOU LISTENING? I will no longer purchase SL Pound Cake until it is changed back. How stupid can they be to buy the brand and then promptly RUIN IT. You risk losing all your customers if you mess with the recipes. DO NOT CHANGE THEM.

By Pietr Pahn 1/9/2013 7:21:52 PM
Just read on the Sara Lee facebook page that they are bringing back the old recipe!!!!!!!!! "All - We recently announced that we're bringing back Sara Lee All Butter Pound Cake (both family and regular sizes) due to demand from loyal customers like you. It'll be returning to store shelves over the next few months. If you have questions, please feel free to call us at 1-888-820-7100."

By Sarah Nelson 1/9/2013 8:16:14 AM
This is the first negative review I have ever written,but I felt I needed to let others know.I bought a Sara Lee pound cake yesterday. When I opened it I knew something was wrong. This is NOT POUND CAKE. It is sponge cake. It was awful.I gave my husband a bite and he said it didn't taste like SaraLee. I told him it was their new more moist recipe. I will not be buying again. Such a waste of money.

By CARLOS GONZALEZ 1/9/2013 12:11:35 AM
was going about to enjoy a slice of pound cake this evening; what a disappointment. The new "moist" sara lee butter pound cake tastes nothing like the traditional one. this new one taste cheap (like the cheap gas station/convenient store, way too sugary/way to sweet; I understand sara lee is under new ownership, but gentlemen, you're going to lose your customer base, by putting a cheap, awful product out there. please go back to the old recipe, or you'll lose this client for good.

By Jerry 1/8/2013 9:20:02 PM
oops...i meant the old recipe

By Jerry 1/8/2013 9:18:56 PM
i really hope the new one comes back soon...

By Linda 1/8/2013 4:21:05 PM
The new Sara Lee Pound Cake is AWFUL! Please, please bring back the old recipe. My family is having withdrawals!! Why mess with a good thing!

By Sue Engelhardt 1/7/2013 9:07:01 PM
I hate the new "moist" pound cake from sara lee. The old cake was nice and dense and perfect! Why change a great thing? The new pound cake tastes like sponge cake - not pound cake! I'm going to all the grocery stores that have the old poundcake - that don't say "now more moist" and buying them all up! I'm so sad!

By Kenneth 1/7/2013 7:03:28 PM
Bring back the original recipe. The new more moist recipe isn't any good and have bought my last Sara Lee Butter Pound Cake.

By lora 1/7/2013 6:18:58 PM
What a disappointment.

By Thomasina 1/6/2013 9:08:04 PM
The NEW tasting pound cake is no where as good as the old pound cake. I was really upset when I tasted Fitness I really hope they go back to the old taste

By Bob 1/6/2013 8:12:07 AM
I bought a pound cake before Christmas. Apparently, I got lucky and got one of the old ones. My grand children loved it, so I had to get another last night. Unfortunately, it was the new one. My grandson spit it out. Take a lesson from Coca-Cola and bring back the Classic Pound Cake. The new one may be more moist but it not nearly as good as the original.

By Zachary 1/3/2013 11:36:11 PM
We always get pound cake whenever we see it And it's always delicious but they changed it to moist garbage. Please change this as soon as possible

By Karen Signorelli 1/3/2013 11:29:19 PM
I loved Sara Lee All Butter Pound Cake since I was a child. I am 57 yrs. old. My children are all grown but I still purchased the family size, I loved it so much. I never noticed the package change until after the first bite. Mind you, I don't even plate it, just as quick as I can I slice it and take a bite. OMG YUK. Spit it out. Threw it out. Good Bye childhood. Shame on you Sara Lee.

By Denise 1/3/2013 8:42:46 PM
Always loved Sara Lee pound cake, especially for the holidays. We were shocked and so disappointed by the new recipe. It is terrible. Please bring the old recipe back and as mentioned, let us know.

By Jana P 1/2/2013 10:02:43 PM
I have purchased Sarah Lee pound cake for years and my family and I were so looking forward to eating more of it. I purchased the "new, moist version" and found it more like a cheap, sweet, airy, moist vanilla cake...almost soggy! Yuck...won"t be buying that again. Bring back the old version and I'm there, but until then...good luck!

By Beverly 1/2/2013 8:54:08 PM
Ok, I have enjoyed Sara Lee pound cake since the late 70s...until now. My first taste of it years ago was with chocolate chip mint ice cream and I was hooked. I was so looking forward to my favorite comfort food and was totally disappointed. As the rest of the folks have shared, the new version is disgusting! The texture and flavor is like sweetened day old bread. Whatever the reason, turn back the dial Sara Lee and bring back the old recipe,...with a huge marketing campaign or those of us who turned away will never know.

By diana murray 1/2/2013 8:12:31 PM
YIKES!!! how awful this new pound cake!! I have always LOVED Sara Lee pound cake since I was a child - what a disappointment when I opened it up tonight and found that it was a new recipe that tasted atrocious!! Please bring back the old recipe with the wonderful top. Sincerely, Diana Murray

By suzanne lindbom 1/2/2013 12:48:40 AM
My husband and I have always loved the pound cake and are now very dissapointed in the new recipe. We definately will not be buying this anymore. Please bring back the traditional recipe! sincerely, suzanne lindbom

By By K 1/1/2013 10:41:49 PM
My husband & I have always enjoyed your pound cake. It was delicious by itself, with ice cream or fruit topping, but this new recipe is awful! We had a couple of bites of it, nearly gaged, then tossed it in the garbage! Will not purchase this cake again. Why'd you have to change a perfectly wonderful product!! From now on, I'll bake my own!!

By Wenona Messner 1/1/2013 5:11:05 PM
I have been eating your Sara Lee pound cake for over 20 years and recently I purchased a pound cake from our local Kroger store,Immediately I noticed it didn't look right.I went ahead and tasted it and thought oh my God this is a bad cake.I just tossed it in the trash and went to Foodlion and bought another one..Same issue.I don't know what changes you guys made to this pound cake but I will tell you this its TERRIABLE!!!!!!After speaking with other members of my family who also loves your pound cake you have loss long time customers.I'm very disappointed and sad about these changes that were made.Why fix something that didn't need fixing?

By Wenona Messner 1/1/2013 5:09:25 PM

By ironchefoi812 1/1/2013 10:10:50 AM
I hate the new pound cake recipe. It's more of a Genoise sponge recipe. Change it back.

By sgsaz 12/31/2012 7:44:07 AM
Way to go and ruin a perfect poundcake. New recipe is horrible.

By Mad 12/29/2012 12:25:12 AM
Two words: Bakers Union! I see people saying here how its "greedy owners" who want even bigger "bonuses"? BS! It's these tyrants in the bakers union that destroyed the Hostess brand! They probably want even BIGGER retirement benefits for these lazy members and we get sub-par cakes and higher prices! Thx unions!

By Mad 12/29/2012 12:20:32 AM
I'm mad as hell! Now it taste just like every other lame pound cake out there. Some weak vanilla-crap taste and puffed full of air with some greasy coating on the top! They def cut back on the cost of making it and raised the price!! I'll the bakers UNION has something to do with this...just like they destroyed Twinkies and Wonder Bread! GTH Sara Lee! I want my 4 bucks BACK!

By M 12/28/2012 9:02:56 AM
The new recipe is absolutely disgusting. I initially thought I had picked up the wrong brand or container. The taste just isn't the same. This has been a family favorite and I've enjoyed this since a child. It's a shame to say I will not buy another loaf unless they bring the old recipe back, if ever. They really should have made a trial of some sort before they discontinued the origianl recipe so fast. Thanks for ruining family traditions Sara Lee! Based on other reviews they will surely see a plummet in sales.

By L. 12/27/2012 7:36:07 PM
They ruined my pound cake! I get one every few months for holidays and birthdays. I got my Christmas one and was sorely disappointed. I can't eat the thing. It's gross. I took it back to Safeway and got my money back. The clerk at Safeway said that's been happening a lot. They'll be saving money - for me. I won't buy another one until they bring back the old one.

By Jeff 12/25/2012 7:39:30 PM
I have to agree with everyone here about the quality of the product. It is a holiday favorite that we enjoy and the new recipe just doesn't have taste or texture that the old product had. If the bottomline answer is that it is saving you money, you might as well quit making it because you ruined a product and you will lose more money from lack of sales.

By Tami R. 12/25/2012 11:07:11 AM
Sorry to say, but you should have left the original butter pound cake recipe alone. It does not have that flavor or texture as the original. Please bring it back. I honestly thought I had purchased the wrong pound cake and went back to the market and bought another one. Very disappointing to say the least.

By Gen 12/24/2012 11:44:02 PM
Right with everyone else- I bought the all butter pound cake like I have for years at the holidays, took one bite and spit it out. I hadn't noticed the package change. I thought something was off when I took the lid off and half the crust stuck to it, but I didn't realize just how bad it was until I tasted it. The old recipe was a really quality product. The new one is so terrible that I don't think I'll ever buy one again.

By steveb 12/22/2012 7:36:36 PM
This new pound cake is awful!!!

By Derek 12/20/2012 7:54:00 AM
Pound cake flavored memory foam, YUK!

By Mark 12/19/2012 10:04:39 AM
I do not like the new "moist" butter pound cake. I am curious how others feel. Now it tastes like an angel food cake- not what I want.

By Alexander 12/18/2012 5:32:59 PM
THE NEW STUFF IS AWFUL! Who is the idiot who came up with this idea? I am so glad I am not alone!

By Fred 12/17/2012 9:33:40 PM
Hillshire needs to bring back its original pound cake. The new butter pound cake is light and doesn't taste near as good. What a disappointment!

By RIchard Harrison 12/17/2012 12:32:28 PM
I took one bite of the new pound cake and threw the rest in the trash. it tasted like the cheapest quality muffins they have for sale at the supermarket, made from all the cheapest ppossible ingredients to maximize profit. I guess the new trend in companies is to serve americans more and more mediocre contrived products, hoping everyone's too dumb to know the difference anymore.

By malcolm 12/16/2012 11:23:25 PM
The all-butter pound cake is disgusting. It's like eating a stick of butter dipped in sugar. Pound cakes were the primary Sara Lee product we bought, and later we enjoyed their breads. It is very sad they changed the pound cake recipe.

By Jim Slagle 12/16/2012 9:39:35 PM
This evening I discovered the original "all-butter" pound cake back in the freezer section of my local Tom Thumb grocery store. I am happy to report it tastes like the REAL Sara Lee pound cake we all know and love, not that ghastly, gooey, Twinkie-like "NOW MORE MOIST!" version. You can easily tell whether your grocer has got the good ones by looking for the words "all butter pound cake" on the package.

By Ivory Robinson 12/15/2012 10:21:51 PM
Please,please don't ever change recipe of the butter pound cake again!! What happen, was it the no cooking new generation? What made it worst, it was a bad recipe. I've been enjoying since 69-70! I thought the cake was a bad batch.

By Dick McGlynn 12/15/2012 4:21:59 PM
New butter pound cake recipie: YUK.

By Yum yums 12/15/2012 11:51:29 AM
I think the new recipe is yummy. Yum yum yummy!

By Laura McInteer 12/15/2012 11:51:23 AM
It is incomprehensible to me that a multi-million dollar company would not do extensive testing before they launched this Titanic. Clank! That's the sound of the remaining 15 oz. hitting the bottom of my trash can.

By Yum yums 12/15/2012 11:50:50 AM
I think the new recipe is yummy. Yum yum yummy!

By Michael McInteer 12/15/2012 11:39:10 AM
The only thing Hillshire has done is cheapen a great product. The density and richness of original pound cake is gone. I hope the comment from jc is correct....the company returning to its original recipe.

By jc 12/14/2012 7:15:58 PM
The new pound cake was horrible!. i wrote a complain letter to Sara Lee and they gave me free coupons. They said they receive overwhleming complain and going to change the pound cake formulation back to the old one. Yeah, consumer rule!

By Jacinda Murphy 12/12/2012 11:59:22 PM
Ditto on all the comments here! Everything I want to say about how gross the new recipe is has already been said. Im saddened that I can never have my Strawberry Shortcake again. There was no other pound cake on earth that could have competed with Sara Lee. Now, the generic store bought brand taste better

By Larry 12/12/2012 8:53:20 PM
I was in the mood for a sara lee pound cake and bought this new one that is sold in slices - ughhhhh!!!! I don't know what that was! Not the original I remembered - did they alter the recipe????? Why oh why!!!!!

By Ron S 12/11/2012 2:32:30 PM
I tried the new one. Don't like it - phony taste, messy sticky goo on top, falls apart. They call it moist. Yeah, right. Cheap. Been buying family size for years at the local Wal Mart. It was alway questioable when I approached their freezer display as to whether there would be any in stock. Now, when I walk PAST their display - not buying any longer - Sara Lee pound cakes are always stacked to the top. No one is buying. They'll get the message.

By Bob C 12/11/2012 11:50:51 AM
B U L L E T I N This just in ... letter from Sara Lee ... "You have our commitment to act upon your valuable feedback. As we truly listen to our consumers, we have decided to change back to the original pound cake formula so you may enjoy the pound cake as you have all these wonderful years. "We will notify you directly once the orginal pound cake comes out your way!"

By Bob C 12/11/2012 11:40:21 AM
It's already been said. The original has been ruined by greedy people who, no doubt, saw the cheaper ingredients as a way to give themselves tremendous bonuses. You don't want a "more moist" pound cake if you're going to use it as the foundation for strawberries and ice cream ... it would turn to mush. This new creation is no better than a yellow cake mix off the shelf ... and even the Betty Crocker pound cake mix turns out better than this. I complained to Sara Lee ... wasn't smart enough to ask for a refund. They sent me two "free" coupons for Sara Lee products. I sent them back. They've probably ruined the whole product line and who needs that?

By JENNY MILLER 12/10/2012 9:45:41 PM
VERY SAD TO SEE THAT ANOTHER TRIED AND TRUE FAVORITE SWEET HAS GONE THE WAY OF THE TWINKIE AND HOSTESS. WHY CHANGE A PERFECT PRODUCT. YOUR ALL BUTTER POUND CAKE WAS PERFECT. I WOULD USE IT IN A TRIFLE AND SHORTCAKE RECIPES. IT WAS SO GOOD. THE LEAST YOU COULD HAVE DONE WAS ANNOUNCE THAT IT WAS CHANGING SO I COULD HAVE RUN TO THE STORE AND STOCK UP. i HAVE NEVER BEEN UNKIND OR MEAN, BUT THAT NEW "BUTTER POUND CAKE" IS HORRIBLE. FIRST OFF THE TOPPING WAS THE BEST PART OF THE OLD CAKE, THEN THERE WAS THE MOIST DENSENESS OF THE CAKE THAT WAS PERFECT FOR RECIPES, AND DONT FORGET ABOUT THE BUTTERYNESS. OH YES I COULD DEFINITELY EAT A WHOLE CAKE. THE NEW CAKE IS STICKY, WOULD NOT COME OUT OF THE PAN, THEN WHEN I WENT TO CUT IT, IT FLATTENED LIKE A SPONGE CAKE WOULD. IT TASTED LIKE SOMETHING OFF AND LEFT A SLICK TASTE IN MY MOUTH. i KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING, THE COST TO MAKE THINGS ARE GOING UP, SO YOU CUT CORNERS. IT IS HAPPENING EVERYWHERE. "NEW" PACKAGING, BUT A SMALLER PRODUCT, BUT STILL THE SAME PRICE. MY MONEY IS SCARCE, BUT I SLURGE ONCE IN A WHILE,TO SAY THE LEAST I WILL NOT EVER BUY THE NEW POUND CAKE EVER AGAIN. WHAT A SHAME. I AM SORRY YOU MADE THAT DESCISION.

By Inferior Imposter of the Original All Butter Pound Cake 12/10/2012 11:42:27 AM
This is about the orginal All Butter Pound Cake that is currenlty MIA. Simply put, a way-cheaper imposter (with sugar as the first ingredient) marketed as an improved version of the original that was perfect (with eggs as the first ingredient). The quality and taste of the imposter are beyond inferior. We recently bought--and have been doing so regularly for the past 20 years--4 boxes of the imposter (which we soon realized) and called Sara Lee (1-800-323-7117, opt 1 then 2) for a full refund--e-mailed picture of the lid covers as proof of purchase & were given a ref# for our case. Were told to expect a refund check in 6-8 weeks. Send a strong signal such as ours to Sara Lee and hope they will bring the original All Butter Pound Cake soon. We are not buying the imposter. Period.

By Ex-Loyal Customer Asking for Refund 12/10/2012 11:30:24 AM
Simply put, a way-cheaper imposter (with sugar as the first ingredient) marketed as an improved version of the original that was perfect (with eggs as the first ingredient). The quality and taste of the imposter are beyond inferior. We recently bought--regularly for the past 20 years--4 boxes of the imposter (which we realized soon ) and called Sara Lee (1-800-323-7117, opt 1 then 2) for a refund--e-mail picture of the lid covers as proof of purchase & be sure to get a ref# for your case. Were told expect to receive refund check in 6-8 weeks.

By Ex-Loyal Customer Asking for Refund 12/10/2012 11:19:50 AM

By Dionne 12/8/2012 8:40:38 PM
Just tried the new "moist" pound cake. Through the loaf in the trash. Don't they taste test these changes?

By Dave B 12/6/2012 8:51:29 AM
Since Hostess fell apart, I know what happened to the twinkie recipe....they sold it to Sara Lee who now uses it as their pound cake recipe. Spongy, sticky twinkies are not "more moist" pound cakes.

By Jack 12/5/2012 11:09:37 PM
I absolutely hate the new pound cake. I wish Sara Lee bring back the original

By Ron woods 12/5/2012 7:57:10 PM
Oh my gosh. How disappointing. Couldn't wait to have that amazing cake with a little chocolate ice cream!! But wait. What's this ? I want my old pound cake back !!!!!!!!!

By Ann 12/5/2012 10:53:09 AM
The new pound cake is terrible. I have heard the original is returning. Is this true>

By Andrew R. 12/4/2012 10:15:39 PM
Absolutely disgusting. Can't believe I ate a whole slice of this garbage. The rest of the box has gone into the garbage. I will never buy a Sara Lee pound cake again and I have been enjoying them for 40 years (note to Sara Lee, I am still annoyed that you stopped making the chocolate version that was a real lunch box favourite back in prep school!).

By Jim Slagle 12/4/2012 3:58:34 PM
GOOD NEWS! Today, a customer representative at Sara Lee's Customer Affairs hotline told me they are abandoning the "Now More Moist!" recipe in response to overwhelming customer reaction (they hate it). She could not say how long it will take for traditional Sara Lee All Butter Pound Cake to return the shelves, but she assured me it shall return, and kindly offered to send a free coupon anticipating that happy day. Apparently, the decision to introduce the new recepe was based on focus group studies where customers said they would prefer a "moister" pound cake. But, the rep said, "they didn't like it."

By Kelly 12/4/2012 3:53:13 PM
I did not know that the original recipe had changed but I bought this expecting the same great pound cake that I've eaten for years & it was disgusting. I ate 1 slice & threw the rest in the garbage. I will not buy this again!!!!

By JB 12/2/2012 8:52:32 PM
I am beyond disappointed. How could Sara Lee change something that was perfect?!? Just tried the "new" version tonight and it's going right back to the store. No wonder it was on sale. What a horrible, horrible disappointment. Listen to your fans, Sara Lee!!!!!

By M Maclain 12/2/2012 7:57:42 PM
I am horribly disappointed with the new recipe - instead of the first ingredient being eggs, it is now sugar. It tastes disgusting, and the texture is all wrong. The original recipe had been my "go to" dessert for decades (topped with fresh berries, ice cream & chocolate sauce, or just plain by the slice). I am "jonesing" for my old pound cake. I have one saved in the freezer, and when it's gone, goodbye to the good old days. I will never buy another of the new ones. My faith in Sara Lee is shaken to the core. Their brand used to represent QUALITY ingredients, like real butter. Whoever made this decision should be fired, and their replacement should bring back the original. DUH!!

By Valentine Atienza 12/1/2012 12:00:07 PM
Sara Lee you are FIRED! pack your things and go you know why your boss ( the customers )

By Ann Edwards 11/30/2012 7:48:23 AM
I have purchased Sara Lee Butter Pound cakes for years and this is the first time I have ever been disappointed. Until the recipe is changed back I will not buy another one. This was not a good move, the original recipe was great. The change is not good in this case.

By Y Wu 11/29/2012 11:59:57 PM
I did not know that Sara Lee had changed its pound cake recipie until we had it over Thanksgiving. The texture, feel and taste were disappointing. Too sweet, no buttery taste and the crust was wet and sticky. Tastes like a cheap angelfood or run of the mill loaf cake. Please consider going back to the original recipe. The cake can potentially erode customer faith in its product testing, marketing and customer loyalty.

By Bob GRaham 11/29/2012 8:54:21 AM
Sara Lee Bakery Group 2407 Franklin Pike, Nashville, TN 615) 297-5393

By Bob Graham 11/27/2012 9:49:05 AM
Please call 1-888-820-7100 to view your comments about the new moist Sara Lee Pound Cake.

By Bob Graham 11/27/2012 9:38:52 AM
The new Moist Pound Cake from Sara Lee is terrible in my opinion. Bring back the original recipe. I am retuning my cake back to the store. “Nobody doesn’t like Sara Lee but, Remember Coca Cola?”

By Magiccake 11/27/2012 6:29:36 AM
Please bring back the original Sara Lee pound cake as the new recipe is way to oily and I truly miss the original brown buttery crust!

By didi moore 11/26/2012 9:02:29 PM
The New pound cake is horrible. I did not notice the new package stating a change. I have bought Sara Lee pound cake for years. This new recipe is terrible. Will not be purchasing this again. I will call customer service to express my opinion and return the item back to the store for a refund.

By Lynne 11/26/2012 8:35:02 PM
This new pound cake is the worst thing ever. I spit it out on the first bite.

By Betty Giguere 11/26/2012 1:47:39 PM
I want to ask Sara Lee..WHAT WERE YOU THINKING ?? You can't improve on perfection. I have been buying your WONDERFUL pound cakes forever, and the NEW more moist cake was HORRIBLE!! I ended up throwing it OUT. When I pulled the top off the container on Thanksgiving day to make my chilled hot fudge cake, the top of the cake came along with the cardboard, and where was my wonderful brown top..it was gooey and bumpey and un-attractive and NOT GOOD !! Why would you do this? When Coke company made NEW coke, they still gave us Coke Classic. PLEASE bring back the origianl recipe, otherwise, I am done purchasing your cake, becuase in my opinion the new one is not eatable! PLEASE bring back the original and then clearly mark it as "original recipe". I will be looking for that one !

By Kristina 11/26/2012 10:51:07 AM
The new Sarah Lee 'moist' poundcake was a huge disappointment this past Thanksgiving. In the past we have always incl. the poundcake to make layer deserts or just Strawberry Shortcakes - but with the new version of poundcake the taste, the consistency and appearance has changed. The cake crumbles and gets mushy after just a minute. Layers are no longer possible for the same reason. I am sad to say that Sarah Lee has lost our family and friends as customers. The new version of pound cake is at best the same as cheap over the counter, mass-produced cake. A very regretful choice of cake to buy. We will miss the much better 'old' Sarah Lee Pound Cake!

By Nora 11/26/2012 10:23:44 AM
Sara Lee has changed the formula for their all butter pound cake and it is a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT. Instead of the dense, moist, buttery cake we have loved for decades, the "new" pound cake crumbled when cut, was dry and had a spongy texture you had to chew.... IT USE TO MELT IN YOUR MOUTH it was so buttery, dense and delicate. We have loved Sara Lee pound cake for years - WHY DID YOU CHANGE IT????? I guess we will have to switch to the store bakery pound cake. We will miss the original Sara Lee pound cake terribly.

By Suzy 11/25/2012 7:46:59 PM
I hate the "moister" new pound cake. I will never buy another Sara Lee pound cake again. It is too sweet and gooey/sticky. I miss the rich denser buttery original recipe. I wonder whether Sara Lee went "cheap" but substituting more sugar and less of the richer ingredients? How do we give Sara Lee our opinion? Maybe like the "New Coke", they'll bring back the original? One can only hope.

By Sherrie 11/25/2012 7:30:59 PM
Please bring back the original Sara Lee Butter Pound Cake...I came to this country 25 years ago and was introduced to this wonderful, old-fashioned cake. You changed it at such a bad time, just when everyone was gonna celebrate Thansgiving. Even my husband is disappointed. 3/4 of it left over that will go in the trash. Can you imagine how many of these are gonna hit the trash??? Read the disappointing comments here. My husband bought this for me as our "romantic night" time over many years. It won't work Sara Lee. You will lose money. We all beg you! Not one person enjoyed the change. You have gone backward. We will never purchase for business parties or family gatherings again! Thanks for the many years of the real original sara lee butter pound cake. May she rest in peace!

By Helen sthormes 11/25/2012 4:41:45 PM
We do not like the taste of the moist pound cake. My daughtar and son who loved the old formular didnot eat cake for desert on thanksgiving. In my freezer 3/4 of cake left. I' ll have to throw it out. My family will not be buying this pound cake in the future. Will your company be selling the original Sara lee pound cake? I hope so.

By Helen sthormes 11/25/2012 4:41:38 PM

By William place 11/24/2012 9:26:28 PM
Your new " moist butter pound cake" is not. It is a durable sponge cake. I purchase 4-5 cakes a week ,and am no longer finding the original "all butter pound cake". These are the ones that your customers like! Add a new sponge cake, but please don't consider the new pound cake a substitute for the original! I may starve to death if this happens! Thank You for your time

By Vincent K Eng 11/24/2012 3:59:27 PM
I join with all who are disappointed or are beside themselves. Is this another this going to be a redux of New Coke?

By Sandy salmons 11/23/2012 7:59:30 AM
Sara Lee butter pound cake is the only dessert my son would eat.i bought it for him every holiday and when we opened the new "moist" cake, we were very disappointed. Felt like we should have just bought a box of twinkies! Please return to original recipe.

By Mike Tanner 11/21/2012 7:31:01 PM
New cake is so disappointing. The minute I opened the container I noticed that the nice brown top layer was gone. Then as I cut into it, the consistency was spongy like angel food cake. I really dislike the new recipe and unless it changes back the original, I will no longer buy it. Why did they ruin it?

By Cindy and Charlie 11/21/2012 3:05:37 PM
We are very disappointed and extremely unhappy with the new Butter Pound Cake by Sara Lee. We thought we purchased the original All Butter Pound Cake as we had been for the past 20+ years for its UNMATCHED QUALITY, especially noting--as also pointed out by fellow reader Philip G on 10/31/2012 at 4:19:22 AM--EGGS as the VERY FIRST INGREDIENT followed by sugar as the 3rd and butter as the 4th, which is in stark contrast to the new one with sugar as the first ingredient, eggs as the 4th, and butter as the 6th (bumped down by soy bean oil as the 5th). The cover of the new Butter Pound Cake says "NOW - MORE - MOIST!", implying that it is an improved version of the original "All Butter Pound Cake". But it is NOT. It is very obvious that the new Butter Pound Cake--now with "All" missing from the original name "All Butter Pound Cake" is a WAY INFERIOR product being DECEPTIVELY positioned as an improved version of the original "All Butter Pound Cake", with the sole intent of DECEIVING THE CUSTOMERS. Period! Please bring back the original "All Butter Pound Cake"!

By Very Sad and Disappointed 11/19/2012 3:20:01 PM
I have loved this pound cake for years. I bought it all the time. My family LOVED it. And it has always been the perfect dessert in a pinch. It had the perfect texture and sweetness (the old recipe that is). I am told that Sara Lee changed the recipe because people complained that it was dry. No way. I have spoken with MANY people since finding this new awful sticky, too sweet, spongy, artificial tasting version - and they all say the same thing. The old recipe was just perfect. I can't imagine any "taste test" group preferring this version. In my opinion Sara Lee was looking to cut costs. Big mistake. My family, the rest of my extended family, and all of my friends will not be going back... the new jingle "Nobody likes Sara Lee..." Very sad day indeed.

By Jim & Judy 11/18/2012 2:38:00 PM
My wife and I have been purchasing Sara Lee poundcake for over 25yrs. We just tried the new moist poundcake last night for the first time. This has to be the most disgusting desert we have ever tried. We had a taste and threw it out. We would like to meet the rocket scientist who thought this was a good idea. PLEASE BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL!!!

By Christine 11/15/2012 7:39:16 PM
If you do not like the new version of the pound cake please consider goign to the sara lee website and under "contact us" please write out your displeasure. I think the more often they hear our unhappiness the more likely they will bring back the old version. I hate this "now more moist" butter pound cake it taste artificial and sickeningly sweet.

By Beth 11/15/2012 9:18:01 AM
The new pound cake recipe is gross. I previously would purchase a family size pound cake every trip to the grocery store, but now I no longer trust ANY Sara Lee product.

By Patti 11/14/2012 11:43:44 PM
Omg! Can't believe my favorite Sara Lee pound cake is gone! Have been eating Sara Lee pound cake since I was a little girl in the1960s....it is a family favorite and continues to always be present at all family functions. Many times my sister and I don't even get home from the grocery store without having split the cake in half and eaten it all on the way home! All was fine during my sisters last visit in August. We savored every crumb and once again argued about whose turn it was to scrape the bottom of the aluminum pan. She is visiting again and last night I got out our pound cake. Both of us were sickened by the taste, consistency and after taste. Sara Lee, why would you do this? We both took a bite and that's it. How disgusting!!! No fighting over the last piece or scraping the pan! You certainly aren't going to make more money, judging from all the complaints I have read. Save yourself Sara Lee...bring back the old pound cake. "Everybody doesn't like something, but nobody doesn't like Sara Lee". NOT!!! You have blown it Sara Lee!

By Val Atienza 11/11/2012 5:00:14 AM
I will put it simply...DUMB MOVE!

By BRING BACK OLD RECIPE 11/9/2012 11:25:05 AM
When I opened my latest package of pound cake, I immediately noticed something was different. I do not like the new recipe at all. I actually decided to search online, because I thought it was just me. I'm so happy I'm not alone. The old All Butter poundcake was one of my favorite treats on earth. I do not like the new recipe at all, and I will not purchase it again. Oh well, I guess it saves me a few bucks and a lot of calories!

By A different brand 11/9/2012 12:49:23 AM
The changes you have made to your butter poundcake are dreadful. The movie-popcorn-butter after-taste is particularly disturbing. Why you would take something that tasted real and intentionally make it taste artificial is beyond me. I have been buying up all of the old stock I can find, and then, after decades of eating your original product, will not be purchasing it any more. Your company has lost several customers in my family over this short-sighted move.

By Rhonda 11/8/2012 8:13:00 PM
The new MOIST butter pound cake is terrible. Please give me back the old one. I did not notice the change on the label that said new moist. I thought it did look a little different. When I bit into the cake, I was very disappointed. I will not buy another. It is almost like when Sara Lee stopped making the brownies. Another good thing gone by the wayside..

By vie 11/6/2012 11:05:16 PM
I am a long time customer of Sara Lee, a brand that I trusted. However Sara Lee "new" pound cake taste like recycled white bread mixed with bad Glucose. I am now staying away from Sara Lee.

By Lilianne 11/6/2012 1:30:59 PM
Please bring back the original All Butter Pancake. You can have in the market the new (I don't like it) and the delicious Original and the same time.

By No longer a Sara Lee Consumer 11/5/2012 7:36:35 AM
My mother and I are so saddened and disappointed over the change to the All Butter Pound Cake, only just now finding out from this site that the recipe has changed, we spent our good hard earned money on our favorite sweet, to find a gross, disgusting and inedible "Twinkie" tasting "cake". The aftertaste is horrible, I managed two bites, my mom threw her slice away. We want the old recipe back, the dense, true butter tasting cake we've loved for years...not this soy bean oil garbage. Everything is different, the taste, the texture, the color, what was Sara Lee thinking? They said the desserts would stay the same when they split off with Hillshire brands, more lies...they want to save money using crappy "cheap" ingredients, why not charge more for the good old recipe? We would gladly pay more to have it back. You can count us among the customers Sara Lee had lost unless they bring the old along with the "ALL" butter pound cake recipe back! The only use for this "cake" I can think of? I'd like to "POUND" this "cake" into the Sara Lee's CEO's HEAD!

By Disappointed 11/3/2012 10:17:37 PM
Yeah, tasted the new recipe...not the same...not as good. I thought it was a different brand. I wonder is someone else makes Sara Lee's original recipe or at least a better version than this yellow loaf version.

By RIchard Harrison 11/3/2012 7:25:41 PM
Wow, what a shock at how bad Sarah Lee's new pound cake is!! It reflects a new trend in America toward the contrived and mediocre, in order to save a few pennies in the bottom line. THey probably are hoping to use inferior ingredients and make a little more cash, and nobody will know the difference. Probably, most dumb americans won't.

By Toni bates 11/1/2012 7:54:17 PM
My husband loves Sara Lee pound cakes. I buy them often, however we have stopped because he Can't stand the "new" recipe. I off course thought he was over reacting. But boy was I surprised. It was absolutely horrible. You have lost a loyal customer.

By Bob 11/1/2012 3:11:09 PM
Ditto the negative comments. No use buying it anymore ... might as well call it a yellow cake in loaf form. Why would anyone mess with success like this? It's called corporate stupidity -- sort of like when they changed the formula for Coke. This new version must be made in China.

By Karen 10/31/2012 1:54:04 PM
VERY disappointed in the new "moist" pound cake! Will never buy again unless they change back the recipe!

By andyoo 10/31/2012 6:53:39 AM
Just tasted it today. the new cake is really bad..just air and no more butter taste.. too much salt and can tell it's no longer a real cake but taste like the cheap products. I am not going to buy another one until they change it back.

By Philip G 10/31/2012 4:19:22 AM
Sara Lee is lowering their standards, bought Sara Lee "Butter Pound Cake" a two weeks ago (Missing "ALL" Butter Pound Cake) with Now more MOIST! My foot!! This is No longer pound cake but an Suger food cake. LOOK at the change: Old recipe starts with EGGS, now starts with Sugar. Old recipe had BUTTER 4th ingredient now substitutes soybean oil. This is all about profits has nothing about making a good cake. Besides they are using more GMO products and againsted GMO labeling. How about going back to a simple tried and true product of yester year with no HFC! I WOULD PAY 7 or 8 bucks to keep the real deal!!!! Even more if Organic!!!! MONEY TALKS Look at older posting below for Old and New ingredients. Old: Eggs, Enriched Bleached Flour (Wheat Flour , Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Sugar, Butter, Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Mono- and Diglycerides. Contains 2% or less of Each of the Following: Modified Corn Starch, Guar Gum, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Stearoyl, Lactylate, Leavening (may Contain One or more of the Following: Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate), Salt, Milk, Protein Concentrate, Vanillin (Artificial Flavor), Annatto (Color), Tbhq and Citric Acid (Preservatives), Soy Flour. New: Sugar, enriched bleached flour (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, eggs, soybean oil, butter (cream, salt), skim milk, corn syrup. Contains 2% or less of each of the following: glycerin, leavening (sodium aluminum phosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), corn starch, natural and artificial flavors, salt, mono- and diglycerides, potassium sorbate (preservative), gums (xanthan, gellan), colored with (turmeric and annatto extract), wheat starch, soy lecithin, soy flour.

By Sabrina 10/28/2012 12:40:22 PM
The new moist poundcake is AWFUL!!! I read in their portfolio that they said consumers prefer the new moist poundcake. What consumers? Where are they from? I don't know one single person that has liked the change. Have you read Sara Lee's facebook page? Everyone on there is complaining about it too. Go back to the original or you will lose this customer for good and I'm sure many others too.

By Kim Beasley 10/27/2012 6:50:03 PM
I purchased a Sara Lee Butter Pound Cake, as I have done thousands of times over the years, but this one was awful! I see now by reading this page that the recipe has changed---NO! Go back to the old recipe! I thought the cake was a bad batch; I need a refund.

By Rachel 10/25/2012 9:03:45 PM
PLease bring back the old taste. I bought Saralee pound cake yesterday, and couldn't believe the taste. I thought I had made a mistake and kept looking at the package several times. The old taste was a whole lot better. This new one now tastes like a store brand with an after taste. Pleasee, please. please bring back the previous taste. What an awesome product differentiation that was!

By Gil 10/22/2012 2:29:46 AM
I just tried the new butter pound cake (not realizing it was new) and boy am I disappointed. I loved the density of the old cake. The density is what set the pound cake apart from all the other pastries. Now it taste like the stuff you can get off the pastry racks of gas stations. If it was a cost cutting move, I'd personally rather pay more for the old recipe.

By Ex Sara Lee Customer 10/21/2012 7:30:57 PM
I purchased this garbage new Butter Pound Cake today and it's like a rubber sponge. What the hell was wrong with the old ALL BUTTER POUND CAKE? You cheapskates are just adding oil and trying to market it as a more moist cake. I had been eating this cake for years and now you've just lost a customer. Some of us are traditionalists and you suits should think about that before you go fixing something that wasn't broken.

By Wayne B Daggett 10/13/2012 7:49:35 PM
Bring back the original pound cake or I will NEVER buy Sarah Lee again. Remember when Coke Changed their original recipe? Learn from history.