Working with proteins, part 4
January 14, 2015
by Laurie Gorton, Baking & Snack
Bakers know that vital wheat gluten is a handy way to supplement protein levels in baked foods. Wheat protein isolate, derived from gluten, is also an effective egg replacer. Use of these ingredients is explained by Ody Maningat, PhD, vice-president of R&D and technical services, Manildra Group USA, Shawnee Mission, KS, in this exclusive Baking & Snack Q&A.
Baking & Snack: What type of protein does your company provide for bakery applications?
Ody Maningat: Manildra offers vital wheat gluten in regular, 80% protein and organic styles; devitalized wheat gluten; and wheat protein isolate in regular and organic forms. Specifically:
* Vital wheat gluten: Gem of the West Vital Wheat Gluten; 75% protein min. (N x 5.7, d.b.) — for protein fortification of low-quality flours.
* Vital wheat gluten, 80% protein: 80 Pro VWG; 80% protein min. (N x 5.7, d.b.) — to raising the protein content to fortify bakery and other food products.
* Organic vital wheat gluten: Organic Gem of the West Vital Wheat Gluten; 75% protein min. (N x 5.7, d.b.) — a protein additive for organic bakery products.
* Devitalized wheat gluten: Gem of the West Devitalized Wheat Gluten — a non-functional protein additive.
Wheat protein isolate: 1) GemPro 3300; 90% protein min. (N x 6.25, d.b.) — a dough relaxer and egg protein replacer; 2) GemPro 4400; 85% protein min. (N x 6.25, d.b.) — a dough relaxer and egg protein replacer; 3) GemPro HPG; 90% protein min. (N x 6.25, d.b.) — a dough strengthener; 4) GemPro Ultra; 90% protein min. (N x 6.25, d.b.) — a water-soluble wheat protein that reduces dough mixing time and provides a source of glutamine peptides.
* Organic wheat protein isolate: Organic GemPro HPG; 90% protein min. (N x 6.25, d.b.) — a dough strengthener for organic bakery products.
Why is this advantageous in baked foods?
We would like to focus on the two studies we conducted three months ago at the Department of Grain Science & Industry, Kansas State University using GemPro 3300 and GemPro 4400 wheat protein isolates for partial or total replacement of whole dried egg or dried egg white in bakery products.
The advantages of GemPro 3300 and GemPro 4400 in baked foods are:
* Suitable protein replacer for whole dried egg or dried egg white in bakery products.
* Cost-effective protein replacer.
* Compatible with wheat-based ingredients so no negative impact on taste/flavor and labeling.
* 100% replacement of whole dried egg or dried egg white will remove one source of allergen (i.e., egg protein), pose less microbial issues and be potentially labeled as vegetarian/vegan.
What factors should the bakery formulator consider to make the best use of your ingredients?
There are few considerations to watch out for when using the specialty wheat protein ingredients enumerated above as they are compatible with wheat flour and will incorporate well during dry blending or dough mixing step.
What production considerations must the formulator and the baker take into account when boosting the protein levels in foods?
Boosting the protein levels in bakery products using the ingredients listed above can impact dough mixing time, absorption and machinability. Overdoing the usage level can produce bucky or soft/extensible dough that could impede a continuous bakery operation. So a good balance of the protein additive at optimum usage level is a must.