Bimbo accepting submissions for nutrition award
June 30, 2010
by Eric Schroeder
HORSHAM, PA. — Grupo Bimbo S.A.B. de C.V. is accepting submissions for its bi-annual Grupo Bimbo Pan-American Nutrition Award 2010. The award, which includes $56,000 to be distributed among named winners, recognizes the best research papers of the year in the fields of human nutrition and food science and technology.
Grupo Bimbo said the award is presented to two winners — a professional and a young scientist — in each of the four zones the company serves: the United States, Mexico, Central America and South America.
To qualify as a professional, individuals must have carried out unique, valuable research projects alone or as part of a team with at least five peer-reviewed publications in the past three years and have supervised postgraduates. They also must have taught and participated in activities promoting science.
Young scientists must have concluded a master’s degree a maximum of two years before publication date of the invitation for the award and must actively participate in scientific and/or technical research projects. They also must have at least one publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
The professional award carries a cash prize of $5,000 for each zone, while the young scientist award has a cash prize of $2,000.
An independent scientific jury from each geographical zone, composed of researchers and experts in human nutrition, food science and technology, will rate the submitted projects on several criteria, including:
• The quality, content, and congruence of the proposal in relation to the disciplines set forth by this invitation,
• Scientific quality (i.e. adequate methodology, congruence between results, scientific questions studied and interpretation), originality and innovation in the studied area,
• The impact on and benefits to human nutrition of the corresponding region,
• The impact on and benefits to the industrialization processes of food products, according to the resources and needs of the corresponding region, and
• Relevance and satisfactory extent of the objectives set.
Award submissions should be registered by Oct. 15 at the award web site premiopanamericano.grupobimbo.com.