Elevator work begins at Minneapolis museum

by Josh Sosland
Share This:

MINNEAPOLIS -- Crews have begun repair work on a grain elevator adjacent to the Mill City Museum in Minneapolis. The Washburn Crosby Elevator No. 1, which dates to 1906, features 15 concrete silos and a headhouse structure supporting a large “Gold Medal Flour” sign. According to the Minnesota Historical Society, which operates the museum, deterioration of the elevator poses a variety of safety hazards, including the possibility of concrete chunks falling to the ground (the elevator perimeter has been cordoned off for some time). Repair work will include replacing the roof of bins, repairing and stabilizing concrete roof on the headhouse, repairing exterior concrete and sealing windows and door openings. The project is expected to be completed by the end of November. The Washburn mill closed in 1965, and Mill City Museum first opened in 2003. The museum will remain open while repairs are made.

Comment on this Article
We welcome your thoughtful comments. Please comply with our Community rules.

The views expressed in the comments section of Baking Business News do not reflect those of Baking Business News or its parent company, Sosland Publishing Co., Kansas City, Mo. Concern regarding a specific comment may be registered with the Editor by clicking the Report Abuse link.