BACK TO PREVIOUS PAGE

Egg

Egg. The oval or spheroidal reproductive body produced by the domestic hen which consists of a hard and brittle outer shell (making up some 10% of the total egg), a viscous translucent white (q.v.) or albumen comprising some 65% of the edible portion, and the yellow yolk (q.v.) that makes up the remaining 35%.