HORSHAM, PA. — Bimbo Bakeries USA has kicked off its second annual “America’s Better Sandwich” contest, which challenges entrants across the United States to submit never-before-seen sandwich combinations for a chance to win a $25,000 grand prize. The contest goes from June 15 to Aug. 23, with full details available at www.americasbettersandwich.com.
Entrants may submit up to two recipes per category using Arnold, Brownberry and Oroweat whole grain bread, the newly launched Arnold, Brownberry and Oroweat Healthfull bread and/or Arnold, Brownberry and Oroweat Sandwich Thins Rolls in each of the following categories:
• Open-Face Artistry: “For these works of art, bold ingredients and textures, like sharp cheddar or tasty tuna, are layered on one slice of bread for the world to see,” B.B.U. said.
• Breakfast in Bread: “These sandwiches, featuring nutritious breakfast favorites like eggs and yogurt, invoke images of cozy mornings in bed or boisterous brunches with friends,” B.B.U. said.
• Love, Healthfully: “Celebrate new Arnold, Brownberry and Oroweat Healthfull bread with innovative recipes that play off nuanced, foodie-approved ingredients like honey, flax and sunflower seeds,” B.B.U. said.
• Creative Classics: “Nutritious spins in sandwich creations that have stood the test of time such as grandma’s club sandwich, BLT or other old-time favorites,” B.B.U. said.
• Fueling Good: “These sandwiches should incorporate ingredients that help boost your energy such as healthful fats, protein, fiber and iron,” B.B.U. said.
“Last year, Arnold, Brownberry and Oroweat fans showed us that there are no boundaries when it comes to dreaming up delicious combinations to go between two slices of whole grain bread,” said Aubrecia Houston, brand manager of Arnold, Brownberry and Oroweat bread. “We were absolutely thrilled with the results of our first-ever ‘America’s Better Sandwich’ contest and have raised the stakes even further this year with new sandwich categories, including, ‘Love, Healthfully,’ ‘Open-Face Artistry,’ and ‘Breakfast in Bread.’ We hope these new categories will generate more delicious sandwich making ideas and help fans explore all the varieties that Arnold, Brownberry and Oroweat bread has to offer.”
A panel of experts will judge all eligible recipes based upon nutrition, creativity and ease of preparation. The top three finalists from each sandwich category also will be posted on-line for public voting Sept. 21 to Oct. 18 to help determine category and grand prize winners. B.B.U. will reveal the highest scoring recipes in each category on National Sandwich Day, Nov. 3. Each category winner will received $5,000. In addition, the highest overall scoring sandwich will receive a $25,000 grand prize and the 2015 title “America’s Better Sandwich.”For every eligible recipe submitted during the entry period, and for every vote cast during the voting period, Arnold, Brownberry and Oroweat will donate a loaf of bread to its official charitable partner Feeding America.