CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Eight months after taking a 26% stake in Metcalfe’s skinny Limited, Charlotte-based Snyder’s-Lance, Inc.’s Kettle Foods subsidiary on Sept. 1 completed the acquisition of the London-based premium popcorn brand, buying the remaining 74%. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
Founded in 2009 by Julian Metcalfe, the co-founder of Pret A Manger and founder of food service operator itsu, Metcalfe’s skinny makes popcorn, corn and rice cake products.
|Carl E. Lee Jr., president and chief executive officer of Snyder’s-Lance|
“We are excited to add the Metcalfe’s skinny brands to our portfolio and expand our presence in the U.K. marketplace,” said Carl E. Lee Jr., president and chief executive officer of Snyder’s-Lance. “We see tremendous growth in the U.K. with additional opportunities for further international expansion for our innovative collection of snacking brands. This addition to our branded portfolio provides us with another better-for-you option in a growth snacking category in the European markets, and we look forward to supporting the continued success of the Metcalfe’s skinny brands.”
Mr. Metcalfe and Robert Jakobi, previous co-owners of Metcalfe, said they are “delighted” about the opportunity for the Metcalfe’s skinny brand to expand with the support and expertise of the Kettle Foods and Snyder’s-Lance organization.“This is a unique opportunity to bring our snacking talents together under one roof to truly give Metcalfe’s skinny the international opportunity it deserves,” they said. “This is a positive step on many levels that we know will not only showcase the brand’s potential, but will benefit our customers in the long term as well.”