BATTLE CREEK, MICH. — At least a couple hundred people were evacuated from the Battle Creek headquarters of The Kellogg Co. the morning of March 29 following a Freon gas leak.
By the afternoon, Battle Creek Fire Department officials had cleared the leak, which they said they believed originated on the fifth floor of the north side of the building, from a pipe in or around a copier room.
“Following protocol, and out of an abundance of caution, we immediately evacuated all employees from the North Tower and contacted the authorities,” Kellogg said. “There were approximately 23 people transported to local hospitals for evaluation as a precautionary measure. All employees were released from the hospitals yesterday afternoon, and the authorities have ensured the building is safe. Our highest priority here is keeping a safe work environment for all of our employees, and we appreciate the cooperation and responsiveness of the Battle Creek Police and Fire Departments.”Freon is a colorless, mostly odorless gas that is used as a refrigerant.