ORLANDO, FLA. — The American Pie Council (A.P.C.) awarded the top commercial pie bakers at the 23rd Annual APC National Pie Championships May 5-6 at Tosen Centre Hotel in Orlando. Twenty-two bakeries submitted 470 pies in the commercial division in 26 flavor categories.
Bakers Square, Nashville, Tenn., was given top accolades with 36 award-winning pies. Fruitablulous Blueberry, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough , Salty Hog Chocolate and Creamy Orange Float were among the winning flavors for the bakery. The complete list of winners includes:
• Bakers Square, Nashville, 36 awards
• Legendary Baking, Denver, 26 awards
• Harlan Bakeries, Avon, Ind., 12 awards
• Shari’s Café and Pies, Beaverton, Ore., 12 awards
• Cyrus O’Leary's, Airway Heights, Wash., 11 awards
• Rocky Mountain Pies, Salt Lake City, nine awards
• Jessie Lord Bakery, Torrance, Calif., 5 awards
• Southeastern Grocers — Winn Dixie, Jacksonville, Fla., 5 awards
• Lisa’s Pie Shop, Atlanta, Ind., 4 awards
• Sunset Grill, Clearwater, Fla., 4 awards
• White Post Farms, Melville, N.Y., 3 awards
• Table Talk Pies, Worcester, Mass., 2 awards
• Kroger-Layton Bakery, Layton, Utah, 1 award
• Pie Lab Bakery, Kent, Wash., 1 award
• Publix Super Markets, Inc., Lakeland, 1 award
• Simply Southern Pies, Richmond, Va., 1 award
• Three Brothers Bakery, Houston, 1 award
• Wayne’s Family Restaurant, Oconto, Wis., 1 award
Open to amateur pie makers, professional bakers and commercial pie manufacturers from throughout the United States and Canada, judges grant awards based on appearance, taste, consistency, crust and the overall product.
“Pie is a simple, delicious piece of our nation’s heritage,” said Linda Hoskins, executive director of the A.P.C. “Whether for holidays or just for fun, sharing a slice of pie is a long-honored tradition. The American Pie Council is committed to preserving America’s love affair with pie through our annual championships and our dedicated members.”All divisions are open to A.P.C. members and non-members. For more information, visit www.piecouncil.org.