MCLEAN, VA. — The Retail Bakers of America on July 15 revealed the contestants for its 2010 Pillsbury Bakers Plus Creative Decorating Competition, which is set to be held live at the 2010 International Baking Industry Exposition (I.B.I.E.).
Representing R.B.A.’s local affiliate associations:
• Chicago Area Retail Bakers Association — Chris Andrews, Kirsten’s Danish Bakery, Burr Ridge, Ill.
• Deep South Retail Bakers Association — Karey Barela, The Ambrosia Bakery, Baton Rouge, La.
• Greater Cincinnati Retail Bakers Association — Camilla Smith, Busken Bakery, Inc, Cincinnati.
• Greater Southwest Retail Bakers Association — Deena Oden, Rick’s Bakery, Fayetteville, Ark.
• New Jersey Baker’s Board of Trade — Annemarie Kane, Food Scene, Inc, Colts Neck, N.J.
• Ohio Bakers Association — Sarah Crews, ele’ Cake Co., West Carrollton, Ohio.
• Upper Midwest Bakery Association — Keeann Martineau , Jerry’s Foods, Edina, Minn.
• Southeastern Retail Bakers Association — To be selected during the local competition held in August.
Additionally, contestants named by portfolio (open to R.B.A. members in areas not served by a local affiliate or not having a local competition) include:
• Tina Bennett, Vanilla Swirl Cakery, Fairport, N.Y.
• Nancy Sepe, Nancy’s Fancies Cakes, Providence, R.I.
• Adam Gonsalves, Bristol Community College, Fall River, Mass.
• Rita Llanso, Touche’ Touchet Bakery, Columbia, Md.
The competition will be judged based on the following sponsored categories: Flowers and Sprays (Chefmaster), Wedding Cake (Pfeil & Holing), Rolled Fondant (Bakery Crafts), Custom Design Cakes (DecoPac) and Sculpted Cakes (Satin Fine Foods). The highest scoring individual, as determined by a panel of judges, will be awarded the Pillsbury Baker’s Plus Grand Champion Trophy, sponsored by General Mills. Gold, silver and bronze medals also will be awarded for the highest three scores in each category.
More than $14,000 in prize money will be awarded to competitors and their sponsoring bakeries and local bakery associations. The awards ceremony, sponsored by the California Raisin Marketing Board, will be held Sept. 28 at the Bellagio Resort and Hotel.
Tickets may be purchased by calling (703) 610-0241 or by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.