Founded in 1934 in Krakow, Poland, Beigel’s thrived, then survived, in Europe, providing countless suffering people with bread and nourishment during the Nazi occupation during World War II. By 1949, the bakery reestablished itself in Manhattan’s Lower East Side, introducing its Black and Whites that have become a trademark of delight in the city.
Over the decades, Beigel’s — officially known as the Israel Beigel Baking Co. — prospered and outgrew several locations until settling into the Canarsie section of Brooklyn in 2015 with its new bakery.
Today, four partners run the company. They are Joseph Folger, president and head of sales; Martin Gordon, vice-president, who overseas operations; Meiloch Wislicki, who heads production; and Fishel Stiel, who runs the finance department. Mr. Wislicki and Mr. Stiel are second-generation cousins of the founder, Israel Beigel. Mr. Folger and Mr. Gordon are friends who joined the company about 30 years ago.And the next generation is involved in the day-to-day running of the bakery. They are David Folger, cake production manager; Sruly Gordon, bread production manager (as well as shipping, receiving and purchasing); Sam Wislicki, maintenance and sanitation manager; and Ben Stiel, office manager.