WASHINGTON — Forty-three baking facilities have achieved Energy Star certification from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (E.P.A.) for 2018, up from the 31 that were recognized in 2017. Ten bakeries (*) received the certification for the first time.
To be recognized, operations must meet key energy performance indicators (E.P.I.s) and achieve an Energy Performance Score (E.P.S.) of 75 or higher. A plant’s performance is calculated by gathering data on the facility’s total energy use, weather conditions, operations and products. The E.P.S. is a percentile score on a scale of 1-100. According to Energy Star, a score of 75 or higher means the facility is performing better than 75% of the plants in the industry. In 2018, the organization certified 100 manufacturing plants in total from a variety of industries, including automotive and pharmaceutical.
The following plants earned certification in 2018.
Bread and roll bakeries
- Bama Frozen Dough, Tulsa, Okla.
- Bama Pie, Tulsa, Okla.
- Bimbo Bakeries USA, Auburn, N.Y.
- Bimbo Bakeries USA, Dubuque, Iowa
- Bimbo Bakeries USA, Fergus Falls, Minn.
- Bimbo Bakeries USA, Gastonia, N.C.
- Bimbo Bakeries USA, La Crosse, Wis.
- Bimbo Bakeries USA, Milwaukee
- Bimbo Bakeries USA, Olean, N.Y.
- Bimbo Bakeries USA, Phoenix, Ariz.
- Bimbo Bakeries USA, Reading, Pa.
- Bimbo Bakeries USA, Roseville, Minn.*
- Bimbo Bakeries USA, Sacramento, Calif.
- Bimbo Bakeries USA, Salt Lake City
- Bimbo Bakeries USA, San Diego
- Bimbo Bakeries USA, San Luis Obispo, Calif.
- Flowers Baking Company, Batesville, Ark.*
- Flowers Baking Company, Baton Rouge, La.
- Flowers Baking Company, El Paso, Texas
- Flowers Baking Company, Lynchburg, Va.
- Flowers Baking Company (Dave’s Killer Bread), Milwaukie, Ore.
- Flowers Baking Company, New Orleans
- Flowers Baking Company, Norfolk, Va.
- Flowers Baking Company, Tolleson, Ariz.
- Flowers Baking Company, Tuscaloosa, Ala.*
- Flowers Baking Company, Tyler, Texas
- Klosterman Baking Company, Cincinnati
- Klosterman Baking Company, Morristown, Ind.
- Klosterman Baking Company, Springboro, Ohio*
- Northeast Foods, Auto Rolls Baltimore
- Northeast Foods, Schmidt Baking Baltimore*
- Tennessee Bun Company, Dickson, Tenn.*
- Weston Foods Canada, Gaffney, S.C.
Cookie and Cracker bakeries
- Kellogg Co., Cary, N.C.
- Kellogg Co., Cincinnati
- Kellogg Co., Kansas City, Kas.*
- TreeHouse Foods, Odgen, Utah
- TreeHouse Foods, Princeton, Ky.
- TreeHouse Foods, South Beloit, Ill.
- TreeHouse Foods, Tonawanda, N.Y.
- Weston Foods Canada, Front Royal, Va.*
- Weston Foods Canada, Green Bay, Wis.*
- Weston Foods Canada, North Sioux City, S.D.*
“We applaud these companies who are taking the lead in cutting energy costs and reducing waste,” said Bill Wehrum, assistant administrator for air and radiation, E.P.A. “These leaders are proving that energy efficiency is good for business and for the environment — by fostering innovation, increasing competitiveness, and reducing air pollution.”
The American Bakers Association (A.B.A.) has worked with the E.P.A. since 2012 to create energy management programs for its members.
“Our members’ customers — both retail and the end consumer — have expectations regarding the environmental stewardship of companies receiving their support,” said Rasma Zvaners, vice-president of regulatory and technical services. “The Energy Star program is an important component to show our industry cares deeply about sustainability initiatives.”
Through this partnership, the groups have created resources such as the Energy Efficiency Improvement and Cost Saving Opportunities for the Baking Industry and the A.B.A. Energy Star Challenge, a voluntary program where an operation commits to a 10% energy intensity reduction over five years.
At the International Baking Industry Exposition, being held Sept. 7-11 in Las Vegas, Ms. Zvaners and Walt Tunnessen, national program manager, Energy Star, E.P.A., will lead the education session Energy Efficiency Improvement and Cost Savings, where they will discuss benchmarking techniques for energy reduction and how to become an Energy Star partner.